11 November 2013

Donna Hay's Pizza Pie - IHCC

 This week, the members of the I Heart Cooking Club are exploring Donna Hay's take on pies and tarts ... and since I've been making a lot of traditional pies of late, I thought I'd stretch the idea of pies a bit .... and go for a pizza pie with a combination of luxe toppers. I used Donna's dough recipe, which is not my traditional whole wheat and wheat germ enriched version, but a simple white crust.






This particular pie is all about the toppers, as far as I'm concerned ... prosciutto slivers, fresh cherry tomato halves, capers, black olives, fresh rosemary, black pepper, and slices of moist Bocconcini mozzarella. So delicious!




I just got two new bread stones, so I fired one up  in a really hot oven and slid the prepped pizza pie onto the hot stone. The crust was hit with a lot of heat right off the bat and crisped up beautifully.




This was a really pretty pizza to look at ... and really easy to devour!



So, there you have it ... Donna Hay's Pizza with Tomato, Olives and Rosemary

Basic Dough

Ingredients:

1 tsp. active dry yeast
Pinch sugar
⅔ c. warm water (109° F)
2 c. all purpose flour
½ tsp. salt
¼ c. olive oil

  1. Combine the yeast, sugar and warm water and whisk to dissolve the yeast. Set aside for ten minutes to proof.
  2. Place the flour and salt in a deep mixing bowl. Make a well.
  3. Pour in the proofed yeast and olive oil. Mix with a wooden spoon until the dough ball forms.
  4. Scrape all the shaggy dough its from the sides of the bowl and begin to knead the dough right there in the bottom of the bowl. Knead for about five minutes.
  5. When the dough is smooth and shiny and springy, cover the bowl and set it in a warm place to rise for about half an hour to 45 minutes.
  6. Shape the dough into rolls or roll out for pizza or bake as a loaf.

Pizza with Tomato, Olives, and Rosemary

Ingredients:

1 batch dough (above)
Olive oil for drizzling
4 bocconcini (each about 2 inches in diameter), sliced
10 oz. cherry tomatoes, washed, dried, and halved
4 shaved slices of prosciutto, cut into ½ inch ribbons
⅓ c. black olives, pitted and halved
⅓ c. capers, rinsed well and drained and dried
1 tbsp. fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
Cracked black pepper … plenty of it

  1. Place a pizza stone on the center rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 425° F.
  2. Roll the pizza dough out on a foil-lined cookie sheet to make a rectangle about 14 x 8 inches.
  3. Sprinkle the dough with a bit of olive oil and black pepper.
  4. Distribute the capers over the crust. Add the prosciutto, bocconcini, black olives, tomato halves.
  5. Sprinkle on the rosemary and more black pepper and olive oil.
  6. Remove the hot stone from the preheated oven and place on an insulated surface (on hot pads). Take the corners of the foil and pull the pizza from the cookie sheet onto the hot pizza stone.
  7. Return the hot stone to the oven and bake the pizza for about 20 minutes.
  8. Remove and let the pizza ‘cure’ for five minutes. Then, slice and serve with a green salad and cold drinks.



Time to head over to IHCC to see what everyone else is sharing this week! Hit this link and check it out!

17 comments:

  1. Oh, this pizza looks fantastic...and I definitely think this could very easily be a happening thing for ballgame day here Saturday, thanks for picking and posting this! Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your pizza looks really good! I know that this would disappear in no time if it is on my dining table! A delicious selection! Yums!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a gorgeous pizza! I didn't even think of pizza for tart week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Susan this pizza is so perfect...believe me :-)
    I love all these Italian ingredients...well done!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like my kind of pizza - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delicious. A wonderful rustic pizza for a fall evening. I love pizzas of all kinds, and this one looks like a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love that you thought to make a pizza this week! It certainly is a rather stunning pizza pie! This pizza looks better to me than any takeout or dine in ever thought about being. I really enjoy making homemade pizzas at home when I'm running low on groceries. I like to pull out what I have hanging around and see how creative I can be with the whole process.

    This version looks fantastic! I love when prosciutto gets all crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that pizza looks fabulous! I love the idea of adding capers for an extra kick of flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is what I call a PIZZA. It looks like it is filled with flavor and each bite would be a taste treat. I guess, I have to make one to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you are a rebel! You've made me want a homemade pizza now. I love your toppings.... so much better than pepperoni.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pie is pie!! Pizza definitely qualifies. I do like DH's pizza crispy crust. And our toppings are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you chose pizza for this week's theme, and the toppings on this one look amazing. I love making pizza's at home, so I must give Donna's pizza crust a try - it looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your pizza is so colorful, don't know why, it makes me think of festivals! Full of happiness simply by looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anything from Donna Hays always looks delicious and tastes even better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmm... what a great combination of toppings. You sould be with the rosemary and capers! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yes please….that looks just delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments will not be accepted. Please be aware that due to spamming concerns, I must be able to track back. Use your Google account ID to comment.